Prenuptial And Post-Marital Agreements
While most couples considering marriage do not plan to divorce in the future — and do not even want to think about the possibility — many marriages do end in divorce. In some situations, particularly those in which significant financial disparity exists between potential spouses, prenuptial agreements can be used to protect both parties if the relationship ends. By the same token, post-marital agreements help to clearly establish how assets and debts will be divided in a divorce.
Because prenuptial and post-marital agreements are subject to legal challenge, it is important to have the help of an experienced lawyer in drafting them. Pearson & Paris, P.C., provides legal guidance that helps clients avoid serious problems with regard to asset division in divorce.
As legal contracts, prenuptial agreements are agreements that distinguish premarital property from marital property. They effectively draw a boundary between the assets a person had before a marriage and assets he or she acquires after marriage. If you are considering a prenuptial agreement, our attorneys can assist you in:
- Defining ownership of premarital assets
- Planning for appreciation of premarital assets like businesses and properties
- Determining which assets will be jointly held
- Specifying different outcomes based on marriage duration
- Addressing post-marital debt
Post-marital agreements are legal documents that can clarify important details of a divorce and establish what will happen to marital and premarital assets and debts. Our attorneys can assist you in addressing matters of:
- Child custody, child support and alimony
- Premarital businesses
- Premarital real estate assets
- Inheritances and gifts
- Personal injury settlements
- Premarital and post-marital debt
- Estate planning documents
Contact A Denver Prenuptial Agreement Attorney
The attorneys of Pearson & Paris can represent you in all Colorado family law matters, including those related to asset protection and distribution. Contact us to learn more.