Pearson & Paris, P.C.
Initial Consultation at Reduced Rates

Colorado Law Blog

Does your child's other parent disobey your custody order?

Coparenting always comes with its own unique challenges, no matter the circumstances. The temptation to use child custody as a tool to punish the other parent for your own frustrations is common, and is a struggle that crosses all social and economic boundaries. No parent has too much or too little money to face this struggle, and bad co-parenting behavior can develop in anyone, even if they are otherwise a reasonable and dependable person.

If you experience conflicts with your coparent when it comes to sticking to a custody order or parenting plan a court approved, then you must take steps to protect your parental rights. Protecting your time with your child is not only in your own best interest, it is in your child's best interest as well. After all, the hours of time that you miss with your child add up, and neither of you can ever get them back.

Should you seek a postnuptial agreement?

You and your spouse didn't get a prenuptial agreement before you married. Maybe you didn't think you had enough assets to make one worthwhile. Perhaps neither of you wanted to give any thought to the possibility that your marriage might someday end.

Whatever the situation, now it's years down the road and things have changed. Maybe it's only months since the marriage, but you realize you should have gotten a prenup. You've seen your friends or parents go through an ugly, expensive, drawn-out divorce.

Help! I think my ex is hiding assets

If you're getting a Colorado divorce, you might notice disparities in the marital assets that you're aware of and those that your ex is claiming. So what happened to the rest of your jointly-owned resources?

Unfortunately, divorce can bring out the worst traits in some people. Sometimes, one spouse might try to stash assets that are part of the marital community in order to retain their sole ownership. There are a couple of ways to confirm your suspicions.

Why is supervised visitation ordered?

If a judge has ordered that you have only supervised visitation with your children during or after your divorce, it may seem like a slap in the face. However, it's essential to understand that the purpose of supervised visitation is to protect your children -- not to punish you.

Typically, supervised visitation is ordered if a parent has a history of alcohol and/or drug abuse, if there's a question about whether the children are safe and cared for when they're around that parent or if there are accusations (or evidence) of domestic violence.

Why it may be best to support your co-parent even when you don't

One of the best ways -- and often one of the most difficult -- for parents to help their children thrive while adjusting to the divorce is to support their co-parents.

One doctor who wrote about "building resilience" in kids notes that maintaining a consistent set of rules and routines across both households gives kids a greater sense of control and security amid the changes. However, he says that if your child comes to you with a complaint about something their other parent is doing, unless it might harm your child (physically or emotionally), it's better to encourage your kids to deal with it themselves rather than to confront your co-parent.

The impact of a parent's alcoholism can last into adulthood

If you're divorcing a spouse who has an alcohol problem, you're understandably concerned about sharing custody of your children and possibly even of letting your co-parent have unsupervised visitation rights. You may have to go to court to prevent your co-parent from having the access they want. If you feel guilty about doing that, don't. A parent with alcohol abuse issues can cause serious short-term and long-term problems for their kids.

Increased anxiety

Watch out for these 4 divorce mistakes

When you're going through a divorce, there is a potential for making serious mistakes that could impact you for some time to come. For example, did you know that the time of year you file for divorce could impact you? Yes, if your spouse gets bonuses each quarter or earns more during a certain time of year, you might want to wait to file.

There are many mistakes people make during divorce, but these four are some of the most common. Here's what you should avoid doing.

Making transitions between homes stress-free for your kids

These days, many divorced parents have shared custody of their children. This gives both parents the opportunity to remain involved in their kids' lives. However, it also typically requires kids to move from one house to another on a schedule that involves switching off every few days, alternating weeks or perhaps spending weekdays with one parent and weekends with the other.

Whatever the schedule you and your co-parent have worked out, how you and your co-parent handle these transitions can have a big impact on how well your children adjust to their new family dynamic.

Don't neglect to protect your business's proprietary information

Most businesses have some type of proprietary information. It may be a secret recipe or plans for a new product. However, your financial data and customer records are also proprietary information. The health of your business depends on safeguarding all of that information.

That doesn't have to be a complicated, expensive process. However, it has to be done right. If you don't draft documents like nondisclosure agreements (NDAs) correctly or don't have the appropriate people sign them, people can sell or use your valuable confidential information and you may find yourself with no legal recourse.

When can the government claim eminent domain over your property?

Most people don't give much (if any) thought to eminent domain until it impacts them. Then it's essential to understand what rights the government has to take land owned by private citizens for public benefit.

Those rights are granted to local, state and federal governments. They're addressed in the Fifth Amendment of the Constitution under the "Takings Clause" as well as in the Fourteenth Amendment. However, the Constitution puts limits on that power. It also requires that the government fairly compensate people for the land it takes.

Email Us For a Response

Get Started Here

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Clark Legal Services LLC

14142 Denver West Parkway
Building 51, Suite 200
Lakewood, CO 80401

Phone: 303-872-4719
Fax: 303-996-8611
Lakewood Criminal Law Office

AV | Preeminent For Ethical Standards and Legal Ability LC | Lead Counsel Rated Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb Top 100 Trial Lawyers | The National Trial Lawyers The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers.