Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Should you buy duplicate items for your children after divorce?

Should you buy duplicate items for your children after divorce?

On Behalf of | Feb 13, 2020 | Family Law |

You and your spouse are getting a divorce, and you know that it could be hard on your kids. They’ll be traveling back and forth between houses, and you want to make it easier on them. The only trouble is that you don’t trust your spouse with your children’s things. They’ll get lost, broken or disappear completely. It happens now in your marriage, and you’re worried that it could in the future, too.

One thing you may be thinking about doing is buying duplicates of items. Why? If there are two of each item, then your child can have one at each home. This means that their toys, medications or other goods are less likely to get lost when traveling between homes, and your child will always have what they need in both locations.

Is buying duplicate items a good idea?

Within reason, it can be. Things that are essential, like medications, medical equipment, school supplies and other items may need to be purchased in duplicate to prevent losing them and to make sure they’re present when needed.

Other items, like game systems or computers, might not be as easy to buy in duplicate. You may also worry that those items will get broken or used by people other than your child. In that case, you may suggest that the item stays in the home of the parent who bought it.

Depending on your relationship with the other parent and your financial situation, it may be easier to buy certain important items in duplicate. If you can’t, that’s fine, too. You and your ex-spouse should talk about how to handle situations where an item is at the other parent’s home or how to respect property that is sent to the other home with your child.

Findalaw Network