Pearson & Paris, P.C.
Initial Consultation at Reduced Rates

How do you divide a child's belongings in divorce?

When you have children, it can be difficult to decide on how to divide your property. Things that you might not normally worry about, like splitting up furniture, suddenly becomes a bigger problem when it's your child's bedroom set, and you're already concerned about finances following a divorce.

For people in this situation, it can be difficult to know which furniture should go where, but a good rule is to have the furniture go to the child's primary residence. For example, if you will have your child through the week, then it makes sense to keep the bedroom set in your home.

There are also other ways you can handle your child's furniture, toys and devices. Some items might be able to travel back and forth with them, like handheld electronics or laptops. Other items, like a bed frame or dresser, might be split between homes if one home doesn't have enough room for both.

You may also consider both parents putting half the cost toward a new set for the new property, since it's for your child, or you can use child support to purchase new or used items.

What should you do if you don't want items to travel between homes?

Sometimes, taking items between homes isn't a good idea, like if you're concerned about it not being returned with your child. In that case, it could be a good opportunity to invest in duplicate items so that each item can stay in its respective home.

Your attorney can help you consider other options if you're not sure how to divide your property.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Get Started Here

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Pearson & Paris, P.C.

14142 Denver West Parkway
Building 51, Suite 200
Lakewood, CO 80401

Phone: 303-872-4719
Fax: 303-996-8611
Lakewood Criminal Law Office Map

Martindale-Hubbell - AV | Preeminent(R) Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence LC | Lead Counsel Rated Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb Top 100 Trial Lawyers | The National Trial Lawyers The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers.